Bennetts Timber is proud that we have Chain of Custody status through the Forestry Stewardship Council® (FSC®) and the Programme for the Endorsement of Forestry Certification (PEFC) Schemes.
As a long standing timber merchant, having traded since 1804, we care about our responsibility to ensure that our stock and range of timber products are both legal and sustainable. Being a full member of the Timber Trade Federation (TTF), we follow their Responsible Purchasing Policy and are proud to have Chain of Custody Certification under both the FSC® (certificate number: TT-COC-002037) and PEFC (certificate number BMT-PEFC-0159) schemes.
Here are eight interesting statistics regarding the environmental credentials of timber:-
1. Timber based products require less energy to manufacture than similar products made of steel or cement.
2. Timber is created by photosynthesis and can be considered an efficient way of storing solar energy for future use as an energy resource.
3. Recovering the energy from timber products at the end of their life - as a substitute for fossil fuels - increases the CO2 benefit of using timber and wood products.
4. The best way to use forests as carbon sinks is to harvest the timber and convert it into products (which continue to store the carbon) whilst replanting more trees than before.
5. Timber products act as a carbon sink throughout their life.
6. Timber has the lowest energy consumption and the lowest CO2 emmission of any commonly used building product or material.
7. Timber is uniquely renewable.
8. Plastic, steel, concrete and aluminium are all commonly used in the construction industry and whilst they can all be re-cycled, they are not renewable!
We care about the environment and the majority of our timber is imported from Europe, Russia or North America where forests are managed in a sustainable way. To view our environmental policy please click on 'Environmental Policy' below:-