Bennetts Timber is proud that we have Chain of Custody status through the Forestry Stewardship Council® (FSC ®) and Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC®) Schemes.
Bennetts is a long standing timber merchant, having traded since 1804, and we care about our responsibility to ensure that our stock and range of timber products are both legal and sustainable. As a member of The Timber Trade Federation we follow their Responsible Purchasing Policy (RPP) and we are proud to have Chain of Custody Certifcation under both the FSC ®(certificate number: TT-COC-002037) and PEFC (certificate number: BMT-PEFC-0159) schemes.
Here are some interesting statistics regarding the environmental credentials of timber:-
- Timber based products require less energy to manufacture than similar products made of steel or cement.
- Timber is created by photosynthesis and can be considered an efficient way of storing solar energy for future use as an energy resource.
- Recovering the energy from timber products at the end of their life - as a substitute for fossil fuels - increases the CO2 benefit of using timber and wood products.
- The best way to use forests as carbon sinks is to harvest the timber and convert it into products (which continue to store the carbon) while replanting more tress than before.
- Timber products act as a carbon sink throughout their life.
- Timber has the lowest energy consumption and the lowest CO2 emission of any commonly used building material.
- Timber is uniquely renewable.
- Plastic, steel, concrete and alluminium are all commonly used in the construction industry and whilst they can all be recycled, they are not renewable!
We care about the environment and the majority of our timber is imported from Europe, Russia or North America where forests are managed in a sustainable way. To view our environmental policy please see our environmental statement below.